Library Mission Statement
Guided by the Sisters of St. Joseph and our Catholic tradition, the Libraries, Media Services and Archives work collaboratively throughout the University to create a community-wide learning environment for academic excellence.
Through a rich blend of research and scholarly materials and innovative services and technology, we support academic excellence for our students and faculty around the world.
How we achieve our mission
- Support the curriculum, with an overarching emphasis on the liberal arts, Catholic social teaching, women, ethics, diversity, and broader global perspectives
- Select, organize and provide access to information, collections, services that support the curriculum and the intellectual development of the SCU community
- Empower our users to identify, locate and evaluate information sources effectively and efficiently, and to understand ethical and legal issues surrounding information use
- Encourage creative and critical thinking skills by providing services and personnel that encourage students to excel academically and value lifelong learning
- Employ a variety of appropriate and accessible technologies, and share our knowledge of these research skills and tools
- Provide work and study environments for a variety of learning styles: collaborative and individual, interactive and quiet
- Participate in cooperative library networks at local, state, regional and national levels in order to broaden the array of information resources available to users
- Preserve important collections and unique materials for future scholarship
- Assess and improve our services, personnel, facilities, and resources on an ongoing basis
Adopted April 16, 2010
Director of Libraries, Media Services, & Archives